While I have made many purchases of makeup from drugstores or the Internet, I have always had a love for luxury brands cosmetics. There are times when you’ve got to treat yourself right, and go to a fancy department store to buy a high-end mascara or setting powder. Here are some of the brand names of the higher-end cosmetics I like and recommend:
- LAURA MERCIER TRANSLUCENT LOOSE SETTING POWDER – This is one of the first, loose translucent powders I purchased, which I love to this day. This lightweight, luminous, and non-comedonenic setting powder will give you coverage and lasts for at least 12 hours. And best of all, it does not settle into fine lines or look cakey – $38.00.
- NARS RADIANT CREAMY CONCEALER – Having dry skin and fine lines can make it difficult to find that one, creamy and radiant concealer. But I like to think that NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer is the answer to my prayers. This concealer is not only lightweight, but it offers very high coverage. It also brightens the under eye area from cracking nearly all day. It is offered in 16 diverse shades (a major win for women of color) and formulated with magnolia bark extract, vitamin E, and grape-seed extract. This concealer doesn’t simply mask blemishes; it may help treat them as well. – $30.00.
- GIORGIO ARMANI LUMINOUS SILK FOUNDATION – Looking for a silky, smooth and flawless foundation? Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation has the answer! The feather-light, oil-free foundation goes on smoothly with a natural finish while providing sheer to medium, coverage. – $64.00.
- URBAN DECAY ALL-NIGHT SETTING SPRAY – You got your makeup on just right, and you are set and ready for that all important date. Now you need to set that marvelous look. Try Urban Decay All-Nighter Setting Spray. The setting spray will help your makeup from budging, fading, and/or slipping. My skin is very dry during the winter, and my makeup settles into my pores, even when I apply primer. I found this setting spray a miracle! There were no dry, wet or sticky patches. None of my makeup began to run when I starting perspiring. The Urban Decay All-Night Setting Spray lasted 8 hours, leaving my face fresh looking all day long. – $32.00
- GIVENCHY NOIR COUTURE 4 IN 1 MASCARA – Ever wanted to achieve glossy, voluminous eyelashes in a few seconds? Givenchy’s Noir Couture 4 in 1 will help you achieve this. The 4 in 1 mascara curls, lengthens, thickens and provides complete lash care. And because it is light and silky, it is easy to apply. But in order to achieve the look of curled lashes, you are going to need to apply at least three coats or use the curler before using the Givenchy Noir Couture 4 in 1 Mascara. And besides the appearance of long lush lashes, the Givenchy mascara will not smudge under your eyes. This is the holy grail of mascaras; a must have in your cosmetic collection – $33.00
- MODERN RENAISSANCE EYESHADOW BY ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS – As long as I can recall, the eyeshadow produced by Anatasia Beverly Hills has been the one to beat. The eyeshadow palette is perfect for achieving an impressive everyday look, and a glamourous night appearance. When you apply Anastasia’s 14 eyeshadow pan, you will find it has awesome pay off: a great intermix with the colors and buttery texture. – $42.00
- CHARLOTTE TILLBURY FILMSTAR BRONZER AND GLOW – I will admit this bronzer costs twice the cost of most other bronzers. But bear in mind, it is worth the extra cash. Charlotte Tillsbury Filmstar comes equipped with a bronzer and highlighter in one case. The best feature of the bronzer is it does not come off as orangey like most bronzers. The Filmstar bronzer is a medium tan, with warm undertones and a wonderful satin finish. The Filmstar also has medium to dark tones, for those who are not fair skinned. This nimble, silky texture applies easily without visible lines. Purchase the Charlotte Tillbury Filmstar Bronzer and get ubiquitous flattering shades and a very blendable powder formula. – $68.00
So are high-priced makeup products worth the extra money? The answer is “sometimes”. It can have a better formula, last longer and sometimes come in more attractive packaging. But this is not always the case. A vast majority of prime makeup contains the same components of drugstore makeup, therefore you should always look in the mirror and decide what you feel is best for you.